1/21/2008

Gertie and Emma Jean

I used a cute pattern from Chestnut Junction to create these gals, and I know everyone has their own opinion about making someone else's pattern; especially when it comes to giving credit, and taking credit for your own spin.

It's my policy to ALWAYS give credit to the pattern designer. But, I have a hard time making it EXACTLY the same as the designer. I respect their wishes if they don't want the pattern altered, but I won't buy their pattern again. I never did like walking on thin ice, and I don't want to take the chance of offending someone that fussy. Enough said.

Half the time, I don't read the directions, because I'm more of a visual person. When I begin to create something, I just go with the flow. I may have overbaked, oversanded, undercut....but I don't let it sway me. I just have to take a different approach. When I relax, and just let it happen, I always end up with something I didn't vision, and most of the time, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Emma Jean

I cut out 2 patterns at the same time. I stitched their faces so that they would have their own personality. I used the same stain solution; Emma Jean was first, then Gertie. By the time I got to Gertie, I was getting down to the sludge. So when Gertie was baked, she looked a little more "worn".

Gertie

I liked Emma Jean better, so I started with her dress first.

I had already distressed some muslin, and I liked the aged, crinkly effect. So chose to make her dress with that. I had a strip of homespun that was too short compared to the one in the pattern. So I decided to just tie a knot at her neck.

Her dress needed a little something, so I ripped a small strip of homespun, tied it in a knot. Made two small bows and liked how it brought out the scarf. So I secured them with two buttons.
I liked it!

I wanted to make Gertie with a lot of contrast, so I chose a brown plaid homespun, but I thought it needed something extra. Cindy Conrad(Pywackitprimitives) from my WSOAPP group, recently told me how to make a rosette. (Now SHE can make a doll!!) I struggled with my first one, and it was a disaster. My next one came out better. So I attached it to the dress with a button. She STILL needed something. I had a strip of crocheted lace that I had distressed, and I liked how it looked at the neckline.

Voila!

Lucy ~ Libby ~ Hazel

I love little ornies, so I made these little gals along side Gertie and Emma Jean. I have to figure out a way to attach their arms so they aren't permanently outstretched to the heavens! I still think they are kind of cute.


~ Wally ~

I have a little confession on this one.

I started out by cutting out the head section of a Jenn Steffa pattern. Well, once he was stuffed, button eyes attached, and floss stitched to create his nose, (this part felt like it took forever!) he resembled NOTHING like the pattern. So I feel a little embarrassed to even bring it up.

He DID look like a Koala bear however.


So here is where "GO WITH THE FLOW" comes in. I decided he was too small for the wooden textile bobbin I originally had in mind. I chose a tall skinny bobbin instead. I learned from a pattern I purchased from Pea Pickers Primitives how to insert the fatter end into the head. I used a little Elmer's glue, and propped the head upside down for the day, as I head out to work.

When I got home, there was a ring of glue that seeped through the fabric, and if I had waited a little longer, he would have been glued to my table. Dang it!
So that is when I decided he was going to wear a party hat. I used this fabric earlier on another makedo named "Romeo" that I sold recently on eBay, and I hate duplicating, but I really LOVE this fabric.

Since he doesn't stand up on his own, He will be a "Makedo Shaker". He will actually come with his own crock, to rest in, when he's not in use.

I was going to list him on Ebay yesterday, and got a little intimidated, when another member listed a gorgeous Mohair Bear on an oil can. I didn't want her to think I was copying her style. So I'm thinking I'll save him til next week to put on eBay, or maybe I'll just pop in on my website......hmmmmm....


I thought I would take a family photo before I pack Midge and Lilly's bags. They were adopted on eBay. Faith belongs to my mom, so I borrowed her for the photoshoot. Sadie wasn't adopted on eBay, so she will hang out on my website for awhile. That leaves Gertie, Emma Jean, Lucy, Hazel and Libby up for eBay adoption.

Thanks for taking an interest in my gals. I have 2 sons, and no daughters. I never had a sister, and my brothers all have boys. I just have this fetish to have girls around. It's so much fun naming them. The hardest part is getting attached, and saying goodbye.

Have a nice day!

4 comments:

naomisnotions said...

I saw these listed on ebay this morning!! I think Lucy is my favorite! But I LOVE them all!!! Great job Sam! :)

The bear is just adorable!!!!

andraswhimsies said...

Everything is just WONDERFUL!!!! I especially love the bear.... i have a thing for koalas.
(((hugs)))

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Sweet, sweet bear!
Cathy

thecatspyjamas said...

Hey, Sam....I L-0-V-E Koko!!!