1/25/2009

Feed The Birds - accent pillow


When the season of American Idol starts,
so does my traditional "date night" with mom.
I usually have some sort of stitching project to work on,
and I go to her house to where together we watch the show.

I began this Feed The Birds cross-stich
(pattern by Need'l Love), and pretty much
just worked on it in the evenings to wind down my day.

My eye sight isn't what it used to be,
and I have been working on more primitive
and casual needlepunch projects.

My newest challenge is my kitty.
He likes to crawl in my lap to snuggle
when I settle down for the night,
so we have a little "tug-of-war" with
the threads before he settles down to nap.
I usually have to reposition myself to get
some good light, and hide my threads to avoid
temptation if he wakes up suddenly.
This can be tricky, but I'm getting better!

Yesterday, I was able to age the design
in a walnut crystal bath. I then framed the
design in a pretty folksy print.
The backing is a rustic color corduroy
(which is the same fabric used for a
background when I shot the picture).

It's stuffed with polyfil,
and a generous scoop of lavender buds.
When the pillow is handled,
it releases the aroma of lavender.
I had just enough tea-stained
crocheted lace trim to frame the design.

It's 20" long, by 9" tall.
I sewed around the design to allow a
flat border that is not stuffed
before filling the center and
stitching on the lace trim.

It's really cute on my couch,
and I am so tempted to keep it.
Mom liked it on her red rocker.
But it is available for today
in my WSOAPP shoppe.

I guess I will need to prep my next
project to start tomorrow night.
I have a "friendship" project in mind
that I can't wait to start.

3 comments:

Dee Kat Prim Needfuls said...

Sam, love your Cross Stitch Pillow...The contrast fabric is a beautiful accent to it...Can't wait to see more...Hope your kitty lets you LOL...

Dee

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Lovely! And the title reminds me of a song from one of my kid's favorite movies--Mary Poppins.
:)

Sam I Am said...

awww sam..i so am totally jealous that you have a date nite with your mom :) and that you watch the show together! how sweet!!!
love your pillow!
enjoy your upcoming date nites..and keep those pics comin!
hugs..
sam