9/06/2009

Cutter Quilt Teddy Bear



Just this week I decided to dismantle a fragile cutter quilt.
It was torn in several places, and coming apart,
so I thought maybe I could make something with
the good pieces.


I realized the first layer was just
a cover-up for another vintage quilt.



Tobey couldn't resist hanging out with me,
and getting into anything I left within his reach.
He finally gave up, and left me to sewing,
and snuggled on the freshly washed uncut quilt,
to take a little nap.


Since the fabric was so delicate,
I decided to quilt it to a layer of muslin.
It helped to stabilize it somewhat, but
that meant cutting each pattern piece twice.


I chose the blue blocks, and pulled out
a medium bear pattern by Sweet Meadows Farm.

I took my time, and it required a lot of
hand stitching. I strengthened some places
with addditional patches.

He is stuffed with a generous amount of
lavender buds, and I used blue glass eyes.
Using one of the contrast color blocks,
the hat helped break up the color scheme.
Muslin that had been previously distressed,
made a nice soft ruffle around neck and hatbrim.

Rusty bells and rusty tinsel were my final
finishing touches.

Hmmm, I wonder what a red one would look like?

3 comments:

Carlie said...

What a cute bear!! I have bought several quilts to cut up but when I got them home I fund I didn't have the heart to do it!! I like your blog and will be following it...

Marilyn said...

Your bear is wonderful! What do you mean by tinsel? I can't see it well enough to tell. That is what I think of that goes on Christmas trees. Where did you buy the pattern? Was it long ago? I wondered if I could still buy it.
Thanks, Marilyn

~dani~ said...

STJ was here-thanks for linking!